New Zealand Branch – Education Endowment Trust Scholarships
The AusIMM New Zealand Branch Education Endowment Trust is calling for applications for Scholarships.
AusIMM New Zealand Branch Education Endowment Trust Scholarships Background Information
The New Zealand Branch Education Endowment Trust (EET) was set up with initial funding from profits of the Auckland PACRIM Congress in 1995. The New Zealand Trust is separate from the Education Endowment Fund operated by the AusIMM in Australia as New Zealand students are not eligible for the Australian EEF for tax reasons. Since the EET’s inception there have been 119 scholarships awarded to students at New Zealand universities.
The purpose of the EET is to provide scholarships to students undertaking research in geology, engineering or the environment that is related to the minerals industry. Students must be enrolled in a New Zealand university for the duration of the award. Preference will be given to projects based in New Zealand and to Student Members of the AusIMM.
The EET grants two types of scholarships:
- Postgraduate scholarships of $5,000: These scholarships are for a 1 year term and normally awarded to students undertaking a Masters degree by thesis, and are awarded in the thesis year of their study. Closing date: 31 July 2020.
- Undergraduate BSc(Hons) project scholarships of $2000: These scholarships are awarded to students undertaking a BSc(Hons) degree in their fourth or Honours project year of their study. Closing date: 31 July 2020.
In addition to the EET postgraduate scholarships there are two awards with a value of $1000 each which are for outstanding candidates applying for the EET Postgraduate Scholarship, meeting the following criteria (there is no separate application for these awards):
- Lloyd Jones Award of $1,000 – To an outstanding candidate whose proposed study area is related to mining engineering.
- Jock Braithwaite Award of $1,000 – To an outstanding candidate whose proposed study area is in the fields of mineral exploration, as well as oil/gas, alluvial gold and industrial minerals.
Conditions for the Lloyd Jones & Jock Braithwaite Awards:
- Only one of each of the awards will be awarded in any one year.
- In the event of no candidates meeting the criteria, the award will not be made.
- These awards are granted solely on the discretion of the trustees.
Applications for AusIMM New Zealand Branch EET Scholarships
Please provide all of the below information in your application, and email it to Vivienne Bull at firstname.lastname@example.org, Secretary NZ Branch Education Endowment Trust (there is no application form). The electronic submission of your application MUST be in pdf format in one file not greater than 2 Mb. The file should be named as per the following convention: Family name_EET_degree_2020_July.pdf
- The title of your research project and its location.
- A short summary of no more than 300 words of the research objectives and how it is relevant to the minerals industry.
- A brief CV with photo, and your academic record to date. An uncertified copy of your academic record is acceptable.
- The degree or course you are enrolled in and likely finish date.
- Details of any other funding you are receiving or have applied for.
- Your supervisor or the Chairperson of Department /School must sign the application.
Closing Date For Applications: 31 July 2020